2015 will see the launch of a new crew training scheme aimed at those who wish to learn all aspects of sailing, maintaining and running a large sailing vessel.
Gain the skills and experience needed to work as a deckhand on wooden ships, tall ships or super yachts, with a view to future employment in the maritime sector. Our West Country Ketch provides four training places for a seven-month placement starting in March and ending in September.
Training will take place both in the boatyard and at sea with charter voyages to Cornwall, Ireland and Scotland. Each placement will cost £7,000 and will include the following benefits:
- Internal Courses
- External Courses
- Accommodation and meals on board
- Waterproof Sea Wear
- Knife & Spike
- Crew T Shirts
This is the ideal entry route to the maritime sector, offering the simplest and most effective way to gain entry level employment as a deckhand or crew aboard wooden of all sizes, including the largest square riggers. This course provides a stepping stone into an industry which offers a wealth of travel opportunities and experiences meeting people from all walks of life.
Our Wooden Ship Training course is designed to meet the growing demand for well-trained professional crew working on charter and film production.
Ideal for those who are:
- Looking to begin a career in the marine industry
- Wanting to enhance and improve their existing skills
- Keen to work on traditional wooden ships
Pre-requisite experience: None
Duration: 7 months (March –September)
What’s included: All on board food and accommodation
Crew Training Course Benefits
- Gain the skills demanded of crew in deckhand roles. Training includes sailing, seamanship, navigation, repairs, maintenance afloat, and safety training, including first aid, sea survival and short range radio.
- Gain work as a deck hand or crew onboard yachts and motor yachts around the world. Possible locations include the Mediterranean, Europe, UK, Caribbean, America, Asia, Canada, New Zealand and more.
- A number of our former trainees have found placements working around the world on wooden ships, merchant marine education or super yachts.
As wooden ship owners we are committed to easing the financial barriers some people may face, making training and qualification accessible to all who have the passion for a career in the maritime industry.
Crew Training Qualifications
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Yachtmaster Prep
- STCW 95
- NVQ Welding
- NVQ Woodworking